So, after putting it off for ages and countless redesigns, I have finally finished my portfolio and blog website!
Although it is now 'finished', I will most likely be doing many tweaks as I have already found areas that I would like to improve. For example, shortly before uploading this version, I went through two different designs and also redesigned the blog post page and as such, I don't think it really fits in with the design of the rest of the website.
I am glad that I have implemented the website using progressive enhancement as, a few years back, I was planning on implementing the entire website with Ember and using html snapshotting as a fall-back. This was at a time where most on the web would say that if you were doing progressive enhancement, you were what was wrong with the web due to tailoring to older users and holding the browsers back. However, I am now happy to see that google have deprecated this approach in favour of making progressive enhancement the industry standard again.
Since the assumptions for our 2009 proposal are no longer valid, we recommend following the principles of progressive enhancement.
I have noticed that a few people are confused about the fact that google has deprecated the Ajax Crawling specification and are questioning what they are meant to do now. However, if you read the following article, Google have tried explaining what this deprecation notice means.
Well, that's it for my first blog post! However, I may be adding more to this when I think about it later...
To keep up to date with what I'm writing, follow me on Twitter! I'll soon get around to writing up the various features that I have implemented in this website. Another incentive to come back may be that, if you are interested in Artificial Intelligence, I will be doing various blog posts about my dissertation which involves use of various tree search algorithms but will also include approaches such as Reinforcement Learning if I have enough time.